What to do and what not to do after a poisonous snake bite.

The number of deaths due to snake bite in India every year is alarming. Every year around 20000 to 25000 deaths are occurring due to snake bite. Often people are not able to reach the doctor on time after snake bite. One of the biggest reasons for the high death toll is that sufficient quantity of antivenom serum is not available in all the hospitals. However, many steps have been taken by the government to improve the production and distribution of antivenom serum. Apart from this, in some rural and remote areas, people do not go to the hospital and depend on their traditional treatment and due to the treatment not being effective, the victim dies.

In such a situation, it is very important to know what we should do first and what we should not do when bitten by a poisonous snake, what symptoms can appear after snake bite.

What to do first when bitten by a poisonous snake: –

  1. Stay absolutely calm and do not panic. Panic can increase the danger even more rapidly.
  2. Wash the snakebite thoroughly with soap and water. This prevents the poison from spreading.
  3. Do not put any pressure on the bitten area and do not tie that area with anything.
  4. Take the person bitten by the snake to the nearest hospital or medical center as soon as possible.

What not to do: –

  1. Do not try any home remedies on snake bite. This can make the situation worse.
  2. Do not try to catch or touch a poisonous snake.
  3. Do not try to feed the snakebite person anything for home treatment as it can create hindrance during treatment in the hospital.
  4. Do not apply any pressure or compression on the bitten area, this can increase the wound and the poison can spread.

What symptoms can appear after snake bite: –

  1. There can be severe pain and swelling at the place of snake bite.
  2. Blood can come out from the snakebite area.
  3. Due to the toxicity of poison, skin may burn or itch.
  4. Due to toxicity, weakness or fatigue may be felt in the muscles of the body.
  5. Due to the spread of poison in the body, a serious reaction may occur such as the person may faint or feel dizzy.
  6. Due to toxicity, the functioning of the digestive system may be affected. The person may have constipation or diarrhea.

Leave a comment

Verified by MonsterInsights